Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daycation!

I have not had a vacation in . . . I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a vacation. It doesn't look like I'll be able to have one anytime soon. No week long (or weekend) trip to laze on the beach or explore a mountain trail is in my future. So, I decided to take a day here and there - a daycation!

Coming up with a destination for my first daycation was easy -- the zoo. I ignored the jokes (you live in a zoo!) and made my plans. I even invited others to come along to share in my daycation. My mom was the only one that came along.

The NC Zoo is, in my opinion, a great zoo. Unlike other zoos I have visited, the NC Zoo does not have their wildlife in small cages or tiny areas. They have large areas to roam, and you're not guaranteed to see the animals in an exhibit. If you have a chance to visit the NC Zoo, bring your binoculars. You'll need them to see some of the wildlife.

My personal favorite are the polar bears. For as long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with polar bears. Because of the heat, the handlers (that are always close by to answer questions) said the bears had the option of staying in where it is cool or coming out. Their habitat is large (though not as large as their natural habitat) with a big, deep pool and lots of toys. One bear had opted to say in, while the other graced us with his presence. He spent the day snoozing on the highest rock. As hot as it was, I would have thought he would want to be swimming in his pool. I snapped a few dozen photos of him. Even though I know he can tear me in half with his huge paws, I still think polar bears have a cute and cuddly look!

I'm not sure when I can spare another day, but I'm already planning my next daycation!

No comments:

Post a Comment